Just like we wanted our own game systems and phones in our rooms growing up, kids these days want cell phones and all the other new hot gadgets their friends have. It’s important to give them freedom while still watching out for their safety and innocence.
Internet Safety For Kids and Families offers helpful tips to manage your kids and their tech toys:
- Keep video games and computers in a common area where parents can supervise time limits and what is on the screen.
- Use security software and keep it up-to-date. Even with filters, kids may still innocently click on or download something they never intended to, such as a virus or spyware. Be sure to check it often.
- Discuss the importance of showing others respect online and via texting, and to reach out if they or someone they know is being bullied.
- Know who your child is talking to on their cell phone, and consider setting select numbers that will only receive or send calls.
- Set internet filters on smartphones just as you would on your home computer.
- Stress the necessity of using a the phone’s camera (or any digital camera) appropriately and the extreme consequences for those who don’t.
How do you effectively parent your tweens and teens with their tech gadgets?
photo credit: flickrized