Carrying your baby or toddler in a baby sling or carrier can be a life changer for many parents and care givers. The benefits of babywearing range from promoting a bond with baby to freeing up your hands to soothing a very fussy infant.
Which carrier is right for you?
- For newborns, a Ring Sling is a must-have and can be used on up to the toddler stage. Popular brands of ring slings include Sakura Bloom, Maya Wrap, and be sure to check out mama-made carriers like Prairie Mama.
- A Pouch Sling like Peanut Shell and Mod Mum is also great for babies on up to toddlers, but be sure to buy the right size. Too small or too large can be uncomfortable for you and dangerous for baby. It’s a great carrier to have on hand- fits easily in your purse or diaper bag and a breeze to put on.
- A Stretchy Wrap like a Moby or Sleepy Wrap is wonderful for newborns, and an economical way to try out babywearing. Woven Wraps like Didymos or Storchenwiege are ideal as baby gets heavier (the woven fabric won’t sag like the stretchy.) It looks like a huge long piece of fabric, but is really easy to figure out.
- A Mei Tai is a traditional carrier with four long straps that you tie around your waist and shoulders. It’s best to use after baby has decent head control (around 3 months old) and because the mei tai offers two-shoulder support, it can be used even for a heavy child. Baby So Smart and Baby Hawk are great examples of mei tais to check out.
- Buckle carriers like the Ergo and Baby Hawk Oh Snap are a big favorite among babywearers. And many Moms & Dads are raving about the new Baby Bjorn Comfort Carrier. Buckle carriers can be great for active moms & dads, and for longer wear as well.
What is your favorite carrier?