Who says Superbowl Sunday has to be filled with plates of fried chicken wings and vats of fattening cheese dips? Your husband, maybe. But if your waistline is still screaming at you from your holiday binges (oops!), here are some healthy, but tasty, Superbowl snack ideas. And don’t worry, the men will dig them too!
Who doesn’t love 7-layer dip? Especially when it’s delicious and healthy? Check out this yummy recipe from Livestrong.com that I plan to dish up at our Superbowl party:
- Fat free refrried beans
- Fresh guacamole (to make your own: mash up onion, lime juice, avocado and garlic to taste)
- Diced tomatoes
- Fat free or light sour cream
- Green chilies
- Chopped olives
- Low-fat cheddar cheese
- Baked tortilla chips
Start by layering a dish with fat-free refried beans. Next, add a layer of fresh guacamole by mixing mashed-up avocado with lime juice, onion and garlic. Use fat-free or light sour cream for the next layer, followed by green chiles. Add fresh, diced tomatoes and chopped olives and top off the dip with the final layer of sharp, skim milk cheddar cheese. Serve with baked tortilla chips and your guests won’t even know they’re eating a healthy snack.
I love eating french fries. But I love the idea of consuming a healthy fry even more. And these zucchini fries from Health.com sound uh-mazing!
- 2 zucchini
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cupshredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cupseasoned breadcrumbs
- Vegetable cooking spray
Preheat oven to 425°. Cut zucchini into 3-inch sticks. Whisk an egg white in a small bowl, and add milk. Combine Parmesan and seasoned breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini sticks into egg mixture, and then roll in breadcrumb mixture. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and place zucchini on sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Just reading about these sandwiches is making me hungry! According to Women’s Health, not only is this recipe low-cal and low-fat, but it’s easy! Takes about ten minutes to make. I’m in!
- 16-ounce whole wheat French loaf
- Olive oil spray
- 2-1/2 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into ? inch thick slices
- ? teaspoon dried oregano leaves, or to taste
- ? cup slivered white onion
- 12 ounces shaved extra-lean red pepper seasoned deli turkey
- 3 ounces reduced-fat provolone cheese slices
- 3 ounces reduced-fat salami slices
- 4 ounces shaved 97% lean smoked deli ham
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely sliced in to rings, or to taste
- ? teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Red wine vinegar, to taste
Cut the loaf lengthwise to open, being careful not to cut all of the way through. Open and mist lightly with spray. Sprinkle lettuce evenly over bottom half.
Top evenly with tomato, oregano, onion, then turkey. Lay cheese then salami slices over that. Mound ham over that. Arrange bell pepper rings over that.
Sprinkle with pepper flakes.
Sprinkle red wine vinegar over top half, then close sandwich. Slice into 8 equal pieces crosswise.
What are you eating on Superbowl Sunday?